Monday, February 13, 2012

Etiquette for Social Media

Later this week I'm participating in a panel discussion at IBM on social media, and using it for business. Since I might not (read: might forget) to bring it up, I wanted to make a list of some of the guidelines I try to follow. Note that I said guidelines, and not rules.


  1. I try to avoid spamming people with tweets or facebook updates.  I try to recognize that what color shirt I decided to wear today probably isn't something my friends and followers are all that interested in. hint to parents: play-by-play at your kids softball game falls into this category.
  2. I don't tweet anything I wouldn't want my mother to see.  
  3. When tempted to post something rude or crass, I try to imagine what a prospective employer might think of it. I've heard of interviewers actually putting interviewee's on the spot with "log into FB, and show me your profile page".  
  4. I do not share that I am on flight 123 leaving Austin. I do not checkin or typically share the geolocation of my tweets or blog entries..  Please see http://pleaserobme.com/why for more details.  
  5.  When I do need to bend the no-geo rule, I use facebook.  It's less open ended than having anyone be able to see your tweets.  For instance, last summer when we were caught in the middle of hurricane Irene in Vermont, I used FB to let folks know I was ok.
  6. Check FB privacy rules regularly. Zuckerboy is tricky
  7. I try to tweet once a day. It ends up being a lot less than that. 
  8. I try to blog once a month (also ends up being less).  Of course blogs follow the don't blog what you wouldn't want Mom to see rule.
  9. Every so often, I try to do tweets/status updates that my non geek friends will comprehend.  I've actually had multiple friends in facebook complain about how geeky my updates are. 

A friend linked to this in facebook recently, I especially like G+.


No comments:

Post a Comment